In January 2020 Microsoft is ending the life of some of its most popular products, including Office 2010, Windows 7, and selected business server software. That presents businesses everywhere with several very worrying problems:
- When outdated software breaks, it can’t be fixed. Not only is Microsoft withdrawing this software, but they’re also ending all support for it too.
- There are no patches or updates for old software, leaving businesses still using it lagging behind their competitors.
- Old software costs more to run.
- Hackers love end of life software because it’s far easier to exploit.
- Organisations that fail to protect their customers’ data are not compliant with GDPR.
Don’t worry because ITGUYS is here to help and this month’s guide takes a closer look at what’s to come and what you can do about it.
The 2020 problem – why is this happening?
Well, the way people do business has changed. Today’s working environment is flexible and globalised, with more people working from home and other remote locations. As the world becomes more connected, customers and staff expect to be able to access all the information they need from anywhere, at any time.
The digital transformation means that we’re no longer tied to desks – our offices move with us wherever we go. Microsoft has led the business software market for decades, and they’re now encouraging everyone to move to their popular cloud productivity suite Office 365.
The time to act is now!
Why not just wait until 2020?
Upgrading your IT infrastructure takes months to do properly, so unless you really like living life on the edge and risking your organisation’s security it’s important to act now. Wing it all you like outside of work, but this is one situation where you can’t just take a deep breath and hope for the best.
All good business people understand the value of planning. We might not want to do it… when there’s already loads to do, putting a plan together for something else is a real pain in the neck. But just like any burning issue, the sooner you deal with the 2020 problem the better.
Some applications, such as the latest version of Sage Line 50 are already impossible to install on servers running older software. And those that do make it aren’t able to operate at full capacity. It might take a while for all the effects to show, but it’s only a matter of time.
So, what now?
Like any big project, an IT upgrade can quickly become a bit of a nightmare without the right support. If IT isn’t your strong point, you’ll almost certainly find it easier and a lot less stressful to find some else to manage the whole process on your behalf. That’s where ITGUYS can help and support you.
Outsourcing your IT upgrade makes good business sense, for several reasons:
- It’s more cost effective. Outsourcing saves time, money.
- Experts do a better job because this is what they do day in day out.
- Your IT partner will deal with everything from procurement to project planning to risk management – helping you sleep better at night.
The 2020 problem is a very real issue that no business owner should ignore. Contact us today to see how we can help you… simply get in touch by giving us a call on 020 72 41 22 55 or fill out our contact form and we’ll quickly get back to you.